Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default CRT TVs

wrote:
On Jun 27, 10:24 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:37:14 -0000, wrote:
On Jun 27, 2:10 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:50:55 -0400, George
wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:37:43 -0000, wrote:
[snip]
Damned if I know how you can claim "everyone is better off in the end".
Yes, some will be worse off, but not by much. There is a small
minority that receive NTSC today over the air and don't accept the
value proposition of having an HD picture that puts to shame what they
are watching now,
Strangely, I find the difference (HD resolution compared to 480 lines)
to be nearly insignificant. There is a considerable difference, but
most of that is in ATSC, rather than HD.
Because everyone seems to confuse what is happening.
That's happening a lot. There's a lot of (wrong) claims that NTSC
won't exist after 2009. I expect an eventual lack of NTSC, but it will
take a lot longer than that.
Well the "claims" are based directly on the federal govt which has set
2009 as the turnoff date for NTSC.

That is not true, as has already been posted here a few times. The law
applies to OTA BROADCASTING, not the video format itself. Other uses
of NTSC, such as cable and security cameras are not affected.

No, but some cable providers are already trying to muscle people into
getting digital STBs claiming the FCC is requiring them to remove
analog. Interestingly there are a lot of people who just don't care
about digital/premium channels etc. From what I have read the cable
companies still have 50% of their users with basic plans and no STBs.

When someone says "turnoff date for NTSC is 2009", I think it's clear
that they mean OTA broadcasting of NTSC, ie, the transmitter is being
turned off. We all know the FCC isn't gonna come into your house
and turn off the NTSC output from your VCR or security camera. If
you're going to state that the claim is false, then you should be
specific about what exactly you are disagreeing with. Your initial
statement that the claims are false, with no explanation, would lead
people to believe that nothing is being turned off.

Now, its possible, indeed I would
say probably likely that the date could be pushed out again, but I
think the claims as of now are in fact correct.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"- Hide quoted text -