Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default wire size and 200amp service

Tim Smith wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:34:42 -0700,
wrote:

I work for a major residential electrical
equipment maker (starts with a "S" and ends with "iemens")...and our
construction sales people tell me that the latest version of NEC
requires 4/0 aluminum wiring for 200amp service.

They are right

Does it require aluminum? If his current aluminum wiring doesn't meet
the current code and will have to be replaced, should he be considering
switching from aluminum at the same time?

--
--Tim Smith

That's certainly an option, but not essential. Aluminum wiring is not an
issue for these large gauges, it was only an issue when used in the
small gauge (14-10) general wiring in houses. It's mostly a cost and
personal preference issue as for service entrance use either is
perfectly acceptable. Note that the wire gauge required for a given
service size will be larger for aluminum than for copper.