Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TonyM TonyM is offline

Default Native Timber Selection

Figure not included. :-) In our club we have one turner who likes oak, none
of the others will touch the stuff. With all of the oak we have here in PA
I have seen only about 20 turnings (out of 100's if not 1000's) made from
oak. I've turned about 150 species of wood into spheres but never tried to
make a bowl out of oak, why work a difficult wood when there are so many
others to choose from.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com

"Suanne Lippman" wrote in message
I have turned about 20 bowls out of all different types of wood.
My wife's favorate is my only oak piece. Okay, it is heavily curled, but
still...

"TonyM" tonym.le"at"comcast.net wrote in message
. ..
As a new turner I would avoid the oak, difficult to turn and not many
turners like it, and the cottonwood, it is very soft. The others are all
nice to turn. If you get any silver maple put it in a plastic bag for 30
to 90 days in a shaded place and you will get some nice, albeit soft,
nicely spalted wood. Hackberry also spalts nice, just leave it outside
in the shade and roll the log once a month.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners

wrote in message
ups.com...
Living in the rural midwest I have many oppotunities to collect newly
fallen timber. My question is given this selection of timber what's my
best selection and what should I just stay away from. BTW, I'm very
new to turning!

-Terry

Elm
Oak