Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Native Timber Selection

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:09:58 -0700, wrote:

Living in the rural midwest I have many oppotunities to collect newly
fallen timber. My question is given this selection of timber what's my
best selection and what should I just stay away from. BTW, I'm very
new to turning!

In a word, just grab it all and see what you like.

I haven't turned all the stuff on this list, but I can tell you about
a few of them.

Elm
Oak

Oak is hard, and cracks like crazy. I don't turn it, and use it in
the firepit instead- YMMV.

Sugar Maple
Silver Maple

Both are very rewarding, offering nice figure and they can be highly
polished- looking almost like glass even before a finish touches them.
They spalt well also, and that's a great look (like black ink lines
wound into the grain.) It's sometimes more challenging, but I often
nab maple logs that have fungi growing on them, as the wood tends to
be wild inside. The more it has decayed, the harder it is to keep
together, but it displays a lot more color and character.

It's easy to turn wet, but hard as a stone when dry. So hard, I
usually wear gloves when roughing a dried blank to prevent the little
slivers from tearing up my hands.

CottonWood
Osage Orange
Locus
Hackberry
Mulberry

Never turned these ones, but you forgot a few. I'm also in the rural
Midwest (Wisconsin), and one of my favorite things to turn is Birch.
You have to get it quickly after it has been cut, because it rots away
in no time at all, but in my opinion, it's a seriously nice looking
and under-rated wood, especially if you can get a crotch piece or one
with a couple of knots in it. Doesn't split easily, either.

Aromatic Cedar is around, but usually in someone's yard as an
ornimental tree. It looks great, you just need to wear a dust mask
if you normally don't.

Apple trees have some great looking wood as well- I've heard it's
tough to keep from cracking, but I've had good luck with the piece a
guy at work gave me. Definately wouldn't turn any away.

While I've never turned it, I've seen a lot of really nice pieces
turned from Box Elder (or Manitoba Maple, if you prefer) Sometimes
it's got some dramatic red streaks in it that look great.

Willow is okay, but smells bad and isn't quite as nice looking as some
others. I have a ton of it, but I don't think I'll use it all.

Black walnut, is of course, walnut- and beyond reproach in almost any
form of woodworking.

And lowly Basswood is great for practice or if you feel like doing
some painting. It doesn't look like much, but it's easy to turn, and
the trees tend to be huge.

I avoid pine at all costs, no matter what I'm doing, but your tastes
may vary.