Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default wood stick resisting snapping

On Jun 28, 9:15 am, "torge conrad maguar"
wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 27, 4:29 pm, "torge conrad maguar"
wrote:
Novice has been asked to make a wooden stick for using in feet
Reflexology
treatment. Basically its like a very fat tube shaped pen (about 15mm dia
and 150mm long) with a shaped end. But it could be put under quite a
bit
of pressure,
sideways.

So what would be a good wood to use, that is not so likely to snap in
half
and would also be fairly readily available in north london u.k.
Thanks

The other posters have addressed the practicalities of wood species,
while essentially overlooking the application - reflexology.
Reflexology is a New Age sport with links to age old Eastern sports.
Please note that sport means anything I want it to mean in this
instance.

Since it's New Agey, I think bamboo would be a good choice. Readily
available, smooth, cheap, strong, cheap, round and cheap. It is also
cheap.

When you say shaped end, I am not sure if you mean shaped into a
smooth rounded end, or shaped to look like a duck or other animal.
Following the New Agey theme, inserting a healing crystal - you know,
a rock - into each end and affixing it with epoxy would be nifty. I
suggest you select a suitable euphemism for epoxy to assist in selling
the wholesomeness of the instrument.

Use a chisel tip permanent marker to inscribe symbols that look
vaguely Eastern in origin. Don't worry about the meaning - make one
up. I would pay more attention to the box you present it in, rather
than the stick itself. In fact, if the bamboo was worn and a bit
grimy they'd probably appreciate it more. Use words like patina and
provenance. Speak in hushed tones and make sure to charge at least
ten times what you think it's worth.

Thanks to all responses. In reply to this last rather cynical one, there is
documentary evidence
showing the existance of reflexology existing in Egypt two and half thousand
years ago. The person I'm making this stick for learnt it in the deep south
of Japan some fifty years ago where it was passed down through the
generations. There was no access to doctors so it must have had something
going for it to survive for so long, since the Japanese are nothing if not
practical. Although admittedly this original healing art bears little
relationship to what people learn in a few weeks these days in the local
college.

Cynical? Nah. Simply an attempt at a humorous workup, and there's
certainly a lot of humor to be found in New Age mentality. Whether
you like the advice or not, it would be a totally appropriate
construction and simple to make. The other stuff is true - again,
whether you like it or not, that's simply human nature.

Here's the deal, you make two - my version and a simple wood one.
Present both to the recipient, if they don't prefer my version, I'll
buy it from you...assuming that you've made it to my standards and
you've ignored the part about charging at least ten times what it's
worth.