Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.engr.television.advanced
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Strange problem with low energy light bulb

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
However, I've seen situations where CFL's outlast incadescents by 20:1.

Wow, I 'm jealous. I've given up on them after using about 20 or 30 over the
last 10 years. None lasted any longer than a cheap incandescent, most lasted
less, a few even DOA. But the kicker is that a standard fluoro tube always
lasts me ten times as long, in the same application, give a better spread of
light, and the same power savings.
The choice is simple in most cases AFAIC, and it's certainly not compact
fluoro's.

This is a very flawed argument. Industry is going to get the power they
need.

Not if the increase in generating capacity continues to lag the increase in
demand, as it is doing in many areas of Australia since privatisation.
However industry commonly uses standard fluoro tubes already, so them
changing to compact fluoro's would be a backward step. And the power savings
from residential properties is only going to be a small percentage of total
power use. A typical case of governments pretending to do something about a
problem, while it continues to get worse.

They don't buy power for the fun of it.

Nobody does. Blackouts/brownouts still happen.

MrT.