Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Domestic CH - to zone or not to zone...

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 19:46:29 +0100 someone who may be "Roger Mills"
wrote this:-

It would certainly be nice to have an S++++ system, with a programmable stat
in every room - so as to be able to heat each room only when needed. You
could probably do it without too much plumbing by using (don't know the
correct description) things like TRVs with little heaters in them to turn
individual rads on and off by remote control. Would need a lot of wiring
though, and I don't know whether these things have secondary contacts which
close when the valve is open - like a proper 2-port zone valve.

Depending on the arrangement of the house and occupancy one might be
able to do almost the same with three zones. Public rooms, bedrooms
and rooms which are on whenever either or both of the first two is
on. For each of the first two there is a programmer and valve. Other
rooms have thermostatic valves.

The on and off times for each zone would involve the bedrooms being
on first and last thing. The public rooms would be on in the
evening, but go off before the bedrooms. Precise details would
depend on occupancy.

Rooms which were not in use, some bedrooms and a dining room for
example, would be set back via the thermostatic valve.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh