Posted to alt.home.repair
Warren Block Warren Block is offline

Default Soundproofing traffic noise

wrote:
I'm looking for anyone with experience solving a soundproofing issue.
I have the privilege of owing a nice condo at a beach resort, but I
really don't sleep well there due to the constant traffic noise. The
condo is about 30 yards from the costal highway and it can get quite
loud. Apparently it's very cool to alter your truck's exhaust system
and rev the engine at 2:00 am. Are guys modifying the motorcycle
exhaust systems too?

The building is concrete with a dryvit styrofoam facing, so I think
that's doing a fine job of noise reduction. The bulk of the noise
seems to be coming through the sliding glass doors at the south end of
the unit. One in the master BR and one in the LR.

These glass sliders look to be cheap builders grade low cost doors.
They slide fine, don't leak in storms, and generally work ok, but they
are your basic 6' sliders. I want to keep the glass doors because
they connect to the balcony, let in light, and give nice views.

It's probably worth pulling the inner trim to see what was used to seal
around the frame. Expanding foam seals better than fiberglass. If the
builders were lazy, there may be nothing at all.