Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need to downgrade breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac?

See if the paper work mentions the word amp, or ampacity.

Since this is greek, please leave the panel box closed. For your
safety, you see.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
: Thank you for your responses.
:
: We didn't do any of the wiring ourselves, the breaker is the
same from
: the prior HVAC unit (ca. 1987), I'm fairly certain the
contractor who
: installed the hvac a few months ago didn't make any change to
the
: breaker(s). He seemed quite competent and earnest, so I'm a
little
: reluctant to accept the inspector's word as gospel. Either
way, I'm
: concerned about a liability situation down the road, so I'm
trying to
: research this prior to having someone in to make a change.
:
: The inspector stood in front of the breaker box pointing to the
40amp
: breaker when he made the statement, so I'm pretty certain he's
: referring to the breaker. The buyer read aloud a liability
disclaimer
: based upon the inspector's report.
:
: I read all of the literature that came with the unit - an
electric
: heat pump/air conditioning unit w/air handler.
:
: I did find this within the paperwork for the new unit (not sure
if
: this is relative):
: i
: This unit is designed for single-phase electrical supply. DO
NOT
: OPERATE ON A THREE-PHASE POWER SUPPLY. Measure the power
supply to
: the unit. The supply voltage must be in agreement with the
unit
: nameplate power requirements and within the range shown in:
: Nominal Input 208/240
: Minimum Voltage 187
: Maximum Voltage 253
: /i
: I don't mind saying this is pretty much greek to me, but does
this
: mean if I check the plate on the unit I'll be able to tell what
kind
: of breaker is best (based upon the range info above)?
:
: I plan on having someone come in to make the change, if it's
: necessary, but I'd like to have an idea of whether it needs to
be done
: before 'going there.'
:
: Again, thank you so much for any input.
:
: WJ
:
: