Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sheer frustration

Speedy Jim wrote:
dpb wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Harlan Messinger wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Harlan Messinger wrote:

Why it takes me so long to get up the steam to start a home
improvement project:

I got a pedestal sink to replace a vanity sink in a powder room. I
need to put in a backer board. I remove some of the drywall and
find two plastic pipes from above, presumably drain pipes, one
straight down the middle between the water supply pipes and one on
the left just inside the stud, and BOTH smack against the back of
the drywall.

SNIP

So, don't use a "board".

How about a 1/4" thk steel plate notched into the studs?
Tap the plate for bolts or permanently fasten threaded studs
to it.

Nope, there isn't even a quarter inch between the front of these
pipes and the back of the drywall. But there IS about a sixteenth of
an inch. I could screw a steel sheet between the studs, after having
screwed rectangles from a 2x8 to the back of the sheet to cover the
space between the intruding pipes. (I do have over 2 inches between
the front of the supply pipes and the back of the drywall.) The wood
would span the locations of the bolts. Does that sound sufficiently
solid?

That sounds workable. And you could make the steel plate
as "tall" as you need to give the stiffness.

The height won't add much stiffness. What would do that would be a
vertical angle attached to it alongside the pipes where there is
clearance.

--

Very good point. Could even be made a bendment
in the sheetmetal.

Yeah, I was going to add that as an alternative/enhancement but you beat
me to it...