Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default wire size and 200amp service

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:34:42 -0700, wrote:

I am doing a significant kitchen upgrade and the contractor has
recommended that I upgrade the electrical service to 200amp. I've had
3 electricians out to quote on the work---and received 3 very
different opinions and prices. Two have told me it is not necessary
to upgrade the main power line in the house from the meter to the load
center. The other one says I must.

I agree with the 2 that say it is not necessary, unless you are
changing from a gas stove to electric or adding large appliances like
a washer/dryer. You should already have 2 20A circuits in the kitchen
now. This allows plenty of capacity for countertop appliances.

In the unlikely event that you truly do need to upgrade your service
you can always do it later. It should not affect the kitchen remodel.

BTW Having quad receptacles and under counter lights are a good thing
to add while you are at it.