Posted to alt.home.repair
Laurie Laurie is offline

Default Update to "blown 220v outlet" thread

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

How come no one has yet asked.....

Did the electrician offer any suggestions as to what may have happened
to cause that "pop" and trip the circuit breaker?

He didn't know - he looked for blackened whatever, but didn't see anything
behind the outlet panel or the dryer panel where the cord connected. He
didn't really do anything at the breakers other than flip them off and on.

Breakers don't often decide to trip by themselves y'know. And if they
do because of maybe a loose connection at the breaker causing it to
get hot and "blow", that's not likely to make a "pop" at the load
(dryer) end of the line.

For your sake Laurie I'm hoping I'm wrong, but....

"Things which go away by themselves usually come back by themselves."

Yep - I'm waiting til the weekend when I can be home and run the dryer for
awhile just to be sure it's working right...I've been apprehensive to run a
load when I can't sit there for the first while to make sure it's heating,
etc I wish I remembered more of what the situation was when that pop
happened - I know I was turning the timer dial and I think I was pushing it
in when I shouldn't (or not pushing it in when I should've been) and it
probably tried to turn on as a result and then I was pushing it along by
keeping it pushed in and I'm guessing that's what caused it to trip.

The laundry room IS right next to the garage where the panel is. I don't
know how loud the sound of a breaker tripping is, but if it's pretty loud,
maybe I could've heard that through the POS door? Between feeling the power
start and stop at the dryer by doing whatever I was doing with the dial and
the sound, maybe I put them together in my head?

If there is a loose wire at the breaker for the dryer, which I will now
unlabel and then relabel making everyone happy ;-), when the dryer is
running will it a) be hot to the touch and b) if I touch it am I likely to
fry myself?

Laurie