Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default need to downgrade breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac?

In article , wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:43:25 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

Right, I know -- I'm objecting to what appeared, at least, to be a general
statement that breakers provide only short-circuit protection. In the specific
cases you cited, that's correct, but as a general rule, it's not.

Doug I think the point was that in the case of motors on dedicated
circuits the rules are different.

Right, I know that. I just wanted to make sure it was understood that as a
_general_ rule, breakers are there to provide overcurrent protection
generally, which is not the same as short circuit protection.

--
Regards,