Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default positive pressure and air filtration

On Jun 27, 11:56 am, wrote:
I'm not sure you'll find a through-the-window HEPA filter, but I think
you could jerry-rig one easy enough. Building a small, light frame
that is the same size as a filter and put it in your window and seal
it up. Then put a fan on the inside to suck the air in through the
filter. Then run the inside the room filter, too. Run the window
filter 24/7.

This is what I was thinking, but I was not sure how strong of a fan I
need to suck through a HEPA. After all, a HEPA may be an overkill.
Also, since complete filters are so expensive I was thinking may be
there is more to them than just a fan and a filter.

I don't know. HEPA filters are everywhere, ranging from your vaccuum
cleaner to the air duct of my van (hmmm. I should see if it needs
changing).

If I were doing the project, I'd get one of those two-fan units that
are made to go into a window (and the window closes on it for a
seal).
This is typical and I found it quick on froogle.
http://www.hometownstores.com/detail...0Fan&ovtac=CMP
but you can get them everywhere.

I think I'd buy a HEPA filter that is larger than that -- say for a
furnace or some stand-up filter -- and cut it to the same size. Then
build a cardboard or wood frame for it, glue/tape it all together and
give it a try. For $50 to $100 you'd know if it worked or not.

Also check out things like these:

http://www.iallergy.com/product196/product_info.html
http://www.rewci.com/mulfilfresai.html