Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] nicksanspam@ece.villanova.edu is offline

Default Portable A/C

RicodJour wrote:

"Proctologically Violated=A9=AE" wrote:

For winter, get a standalone dehumidifer--which also acts as a 600-800
watt heater.

... I think you're a bit on the high side in your heat output estimate.
I think 400 watts for a residential unit would be more realistic. You're
dropping the relative humidity which will affect latent heat, and the units
themselves only draw 600-800 watts. Even a heating element isn't 100%
efficient.

Dehumidifiers are MORE than 100% efficient as heaters, as latent heat pumps,
since removing water vapor from air adds heat. I measured a 1.6 COP with
a power meter and a measuring cup.

Nick