Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Harry is offline

Default Air conditioners make outlets hot

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:09:31 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 27 Jun, 08:27, Meat Plow wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:52:42 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

It's really hot here tonight and my kids air conditioners upstairs
have me worried. The outlets that they plug into are actually getting
hot and the plug is hot to the touch when I pull it out and feel it.

I switched my son's plug to a newer plug in the bathroom that I had an
electrician put in. I know for a fact that that bathroom plug is
grounded and I trust that electrician. That one does not seem to be
heating up now. I had to run a long extension cord to reach it but
there is no heat anywhere now on that plug at either end.

In my kids room they have grounded outlets but I've always had
problems with the circuit breaker cutting off with the air
conditioners both running at the same time upstairs. It am wondering
if our upstairs rooms may have been a do it yourself job. It's a
dormered out attic and the work is not so great. Not bad, but not
great.

I'm no electrician, but it seems like those units are drawing more
current than the current wiring is capable of handling and it also
seems like they are sharing the same circuit.

Obviously it's time to call an electrician but I would appreciate any
feedback on the hot outlets and on how big a job it would be to redo
some of the wiring to that upstairs dormer.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Thanks

-- If the air conditioner is above say 6000 or so btu, it needs to be
on its
-- own circuit without any outlets

What good is a circuit without any outlets?

Hi,
You got one point!, LOL

An outletless circuit can be used to give you scented walls. That's
what happens when a rat bites into it.

BTW, when a rat bites into the wires, how much current does it draw?