Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default need to downgrade breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac?

In article , Bud-- wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Bud--

wrote:

I have one issue with your otherwise excellent post -- this last sentence:

And as has been a couple times, the breaker provides short circuit
protection for the wire, not overload protection.

The breaker provides *overcurrent* protection for the wire -- IOW, the breaker
is sized to open if more current is flowing through the wire than it can
safely handle. This does not occur solely through short circuits, but can
result from overload as well (e.g. fifty 60W incandescent light bulbs on a
single 15A circuit is supposed to pop the breaker, even though there is no
short).

Note that gfretwell and I agree on this.

This is a motor circuit, not light bulbs. The rules are in article 430.

The circuit breaker provides *short circuit* protection - 430 part 5.

Right, I know -- I'm objecting to what appeared, at least, to be a general
statement that breakers provide only short-circuit protection. In the specific
cases you cited, that's correct, but as a general rule, it's not.

--
Regards,