Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Native Timber Selection

Hi Terry

Nothing wrong with any of those woods really, I have turned all of
those successfully, and then some, all have their own special things,
I think by turning all the different woods you get a better overall
turning skill, as they give you different challenges.

Also keep in mind as we talk about these woods that each and every log
is different, also saying Elm, or Oak, and we are talking about 60 or
so Oak species in N.A. and half a dozen Elm species, and there can be
big differences in those woods.

The Maples turn all fairly well, some are softer like Manitoba Maple
and Silver Maple that will give you tear-out with bad tool technic,
also the drying of the turnings fairly easy.

Elms turn OK, the cambium layer is stringy, the wood, except for the
Rock Elm, is not hard and drying is no challenge.

Hackberry is a lot like Elm

Osage turns good when green, gets harder to turn when old and dry,
beautiful wood when finished, dry slowly and you're fine.

Locust, Black Locust is a lot like Osage, in all ways, Honey locust is
more like Oak open grain and can be splintery when dry, nice turning
wood.

Mulberry turns like a dream, and looks great new and later with
darkened color, but a real challenge to dry it without splitting,
total seal and paper bag, does give me the best results, though still
unpredictable.

Oaks, I have turned both white and red, never had a problem with it, I
know a lot of turners say they have problems, but I finish turned
green Red and White Oak, and rough turned, dry and return Red and
White without problems.

One important thing with all this wood, start with wood that has no
splits, start and complete the turning without having it sit for hours
or days while only partially turned, wrap a plastic bag around the
wood while taking a break or at mealtime, and don't try to hurry the
drying, give it time while you rough turn and practice--practice--
practice, and by then you'll be better able to finish turn your
earlier work.

You got to learn to walk before you can learn to run !!!!!!!

Also come back to the forum, and ask questions, just remember the only
dumb question is the question you don't ask !!

Here are a few turning related photo-albums, if you are interested.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum30.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jun 27, 10:09 am, wrote:
Living in the rural midwest I have many oppotunities to collect newly
fallen timber. My question is given this selection of timber what's my
best selection and what should I just stay away from. BTW, I'm very
new to turning!

-Terry

Elm
Oak