Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Penny Wise, Pound Foolish?

On Jun 26, 10:18 pm, charlieb wrote:
tom wrote:
I dunno, Charlie, what do you think of this bit of grain? It became
much more prominent after finishing. The photo marked "drawer grain".
http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/ I _could_ redo it, if necessary.
Tom

YANK! ( the sound of my chain being pulled)

OK - I looked closely at the picture in question - in PhotoShop and
there
seems to be the slightest indication of two rip cuts - but they
would have
to have been done with a thin kerf blade. And the bottom of the
drawer
seems to have been planed down just a little unevenly.

An azabeki could have been used for the rip cuts - but the cross
cuts
would be tricky - being to short.

Nice job, and once the grain is popped it'll be an even nicer job.

Oh, and cutting the part above the piece with the drawer in it from
the same board was a nice touch, as are the bookmatched cathedral
grain on each side of the rear of the corner cabinet. NICE!

So how'd YOU do it?

charlie b

Actually the part above the piece with the drawer is not from the same
board, but just a happy accident that the grain appears to flow from
each to each. You're half right about the drawer being uneven, still a
little fitting to be done (it was put together yesterday), but that
can wait. How did I do what, cut out the drawer front? And how would
you suggest that I "pop" the grain? Tom