Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Graham Graham is offline

Default Bathroom fan trips circuit breaker

"paulfoel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Got a bathroom fan thats been there since the house was built (only 7
years ago). Its got a pull string switch as you go into the bathroom
and the fan is on the opposite outside wall.

Been working fine until one day when I turned it on it tripped the
circuit breaker. My circuit breaker is in the garage and has got a
main switch as well as switches for upstairs/downstairs lights,
upstairs/downstairs sockets etc - it tripped the upstairs lights one.

Tried again - tripped again.

So far, I've :-

1. Replaced the pull switch - still the same.
2. Replaced the entire extractor fan unit with a new one - still the
same.

I'm afraid thats the limit of my electrical knowledge now. Anyone got
any ideas ?

Ah, the guy who used to do my MOT uses that method of fault finding. Very
expensive.

OK, looks like the MCB is tripping rather than the RCD (the "main switch" in
most modern
consumer units), so it looks like you are dealling with a short between live
and neutral.
Does the MCB trip when you pull the pull-switch with the fan disconnected?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%