Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default television to oscilloscope

On 24 Jun, 08:00, m kinsler wrote:

One question that comes to mind is why you don't just use a real
oscilloscope.

Mostly because the screens are quite small.

CHeap alternative method #2

Get cheap old windows 98 machine for next to nothing
get cheap old 17" VGA monitor or such
get shareware oscilloscope software on the net.

Then use the soundcard on the computer to display waveforms in
the audio range.

I've tried that, and the waveforms are just not detailed enough to be
very useful.

What does that mean? We can only help if you explain the problem.

One looks a lot like another,

are the waveforms in fact similar, or quite different?

and the response is far
too slow.

Please explain. PC sluggish, scope bandwidth too low, what?

I may be using the software incorrectly, but I've had
little luck over several tries.

M Kinsler

NT