Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Native Timber Selection

Elm can be kind of stinky when fresh cut, but the smell goes away as
it drys. I like Oak, but can't sell it. Both the maples are good, and
the silver maple is a bit soft, and does spalt nicely. Cotton wood is
soft and stringy, and tends to stink (like someone threw up). The
smell in it doesn't go away as it dries. The Osage and locust are both
very nice, and very hard/dense woods and a bit more difficult to turn.
Mulberry is related to the osage. Never been able to get my hands on
any mulberry. You should also look for sycamore, black cherry, ash
(nice but doesn't sell very well due to light color) and walnut.
robo hippy
wrote:
Living in the rural midwest I have many oppotunities to collect newly
fallen timber. My question is given this selection of timber what's my
best selection and what should I just stay away from. BTW, I'm very
new to turning!

-Terry

Elm
Oak