Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP EricP is offline

Default Domestic CH - to zone or not to zone...

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:14:24 +0100, Mike Barnard
wrote:

Hi all.

Any CH design guru's aid me in my small dilemma please?

I have a 1960's mid terrace Wimpy (spit) three bed house. It had no
CH at all untill a couple of years ago when I put a new combi boiler
in [1]. I also put a couple of rads in. It was not a complete system,
DHW was what I needed mostly. Now the time has finally come to finish
the job.

The dilemma is whether to zone off the rear two rooms upstairs. The
bathroom and bedroom 2 are north facing and in winter they can be much
colder than the rest of the house. The thremostat and timing controls
are in the open plan lounge; see description below. If the lounge is
nice and toasty, then the thermostat will not be telling the boiler to
fire up. Therefore the water in the pipes will not be heated and
under circulation. No matter how far the TRV's in these rooms open
they will recieve no heat.

Thoughts:

Well I didn't "zone" and bitterly regret it, so go figure from that.

Do any work you think will improve the system. You will think of
plenty when it's too late.