Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin'  Man is offline

Default CRT TVs

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:28:22 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:37:43 -0000, wrote:

[snip]

Damned if I know how you can claim "everyone is better off in the end".

Yes, some will be worse off, but not by much. There is a small
minority that receive NTSC today over the air and don't accept the
value proposition of having an HD picture that puts to shame what they
are watching now,

Strangely, I find the difference (HD resolution compared to 480 lines)
to be nearly insignificant. There is a considerable difference, but
most of that is in ATSC, rather than HD.

Of course, these people will still need a converter for 480-line ATSC
broadcasts.

This was an important part of my point. There are many (myself
included) who are 100% happy with good current-generation analog
reception, and view the "Great Upheaval" (the "digital" changeover)
mandated by the gov't as just another terminal insanity dictated
by the Vested Interests and not likely to be in the interest of the
public at large.

or simply can't afford a new TV. They will have to
buy a converter. The cost is estimated at a whopping $50 to $100.
And the fed govt has already announced a program to give any household
that requests it, 2 rebate coupons for $40 each. That means you
could still use your 2 existing TV's for a cost of ~$70.

I dunno why I bother to respond to stuff like this. You, kind sir,
have bought into what they've told you (as did Mr. Trent). But, you,
kind sir, are -not- in a position to be aware of all the problems
that might well materialize when "the deed is done". If you continue
to believe all that they tell you, then I know of a piece of real
estate that you're truly gonna love: located right on the scenic,
scenic 38th Parallel.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller