Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default CRT TVs

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 01:21:29 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Bob M. wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

Also, wouldn't NTSC just change its standard and use the same name.
Aren't DVDs (digital) and NTSC? (I realize they are not HD)

I believe the new standard is called ATSC or something like that (A for
advanced).

Yes, the standard used for digital broadcast through the air. Cable
and satellite use different formats.

DVDs are digital, but the normal DVDs have no relation to the
new broadcast standards.

Wrong on both counts. NTSC is NTSC regardless of delivery method (air,
cable, DVD). You can't put a NTSC DVD into a DVD player for PAL tv's
and expect it to work - it won't. The two standards are incompatible.

Hi,
What is NTSC DVD? I thought DVD player can have either PAL or NTSC
output. There is such thing as region code on DVD playing.

DVDs store audio/video digitally. NTSC and PAL (and SECAM) are analog
standards, and DVDs data is NEVER stored that way (it's always
digital). However, the data on the DVD is stored is a particular way
(bit rate, number of lines, etc...) that can easily be converted to
that analog video standard. Data is stored interlaced.

BTW, I'm in the US and find that most DVD players can play PAL-format
disks (those without region-code blocking). The video output appears
to be PAL and won't display correctly on most TVs. I do have a video
projector that will work with either.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"