Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Home Depot Wants $100 to Measure Kitchen

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 08:02:53 -0400, "stainer"
wrote:

I say give the window shoppers the free estimate without a plan
and if they want a plan, charge them $300 for it and it is NOT deducted
from the contract price.

I don't know what "deducted from the contract price" means anyhow.
Don't contractors figure out how much they want, and if they get paid
300 dollars for the first part, charge less for the rest of it?

If they didn't charge less for the rest of it, they'd be charging 300
dollars more for the whole job than they would have if the
meausrements and plan were done after signing a contract?

(which someone might do if the contractor came recommended or if they
had employed him before.)

So isn't it pretty much always deducted from the contract price even
if they don't say so. If one signed a contract before anyone came out
to meausre, wouldn't it be high enough (300 or whatever) to allow for
the time it takes to come out and measuere and draw up the plan?

at least this way you are being paid for your time and you didn't waste
more than 20 min. on a plan that a window shopper is expecting for free.

I usually give free estimates at the time of looking at the job,
then I inform them about the "design fee" to get a plan.

works like a charm
it usually weeds out the garden so to speak.