Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Is this type of fan appropriate under roof vents in ceiling?

On Jun 26, 4:43 pm, "bent" wrote:
the entire 10', 10', 20', 15' x ~6" soffit is by area 1/3 punch vented, then
the 2 ~12"x12" vents

Sounds like you're OK with the soffit venting, but doesn't sound like
adquate exit venting to keep the attic cool without the whole house
fan, which is what I'd be concerned about. I'd get more venting,
most likely a ridge vent which is cheap and easy to install. But if
you have a whole house fan going and that is your main concern, with
all the soffit venting and the two other vents, there is probably
enough venting for it to work. In other words, I'd forget about
adding powered fans to the two roof vents. At least I'd put the whole
house in first and see how it works without taking on more work and
putting in more fans that use power.

With the whole house fan, I would be concerned about having enough
attic venting to support the volume required. And if you don't I'd
solve it with a ridge vent, or maybe another gable vent, not by trying
to turn regular roof vents into powered ones.