Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin'  Man is offline

Default CRT TVs

On 2007-06-26 01:54:33 -0500, mm said:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:31:38 -0400, mm
wrote:

Someone on this list or more likely sci.electronics.repair said a feww
months ago that it applied to cable too, and posted a link to
government or at least a serious looking site that gave the text of
the reg or statute that required this. It looked real to me.

I've searched for this thread for the last 20 minutes in my old s.e.r
posts and via groups.google, and I can't find it.

Well, I've looked for another 60 minutes and foudn some interesting
stuff, including several who agree that cable will still have analog,
until they stop for lack of profit,

But I've still found no reference to what I know I read, that there is
a reg against this.

I would be happy if cable had analog, because it would give me one
more alternative. I have a tv in every rroom, a color tv finally, and
no way am I replacing all of these, or any, with digital tvs.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm glad to see NTSC go away. NTSC was
never designed to handle color data it was added as a "hack" and is a
very inefficient system. With the move to HD (really ATSC as it's not
a resolution dependant issue) you get the delivery of a channel in much
less bandwidth.

So you focus on one promised benefit and neglect myriad costs?

If you want to keep your old TV's you will be able to buy cheap
converters (just like are used for cable reception) that will convert
the new ATSC signal to NTSC. Getting rid of old technology often
causes a little hardship but everyone is better off in the end.

Oooooops. You just invited all manner of disagreement.

Damned if I know how you can claim "everyone is better off in the end".

Correct me if I'm wrong. You are not 100% in touch with:

What digital eqpt. will be offered and at what price.

Exactly what dig. transmissions will be offered and when.

What the overall cost/benefit relationship will look like.

Etc, etc.

The whole thing is driven by the Fedral Gummint and the dreaded
"Entertainment Industry", both of which are primarily concerned
with extracting more $ from your pocketbook and mine.

I was considering purchase of a new tv and had little idea which way
to jump (HD, etc), so I asked a career cable tv friend. He advised
to do nothing, buy nothing, as the proverbial **** is *bound* to hit
the fan around 2009, and noone can much predict how it will all
shake out.

I expect a hideous, hideous mess and a massive, behemoth boondoggle.

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller