Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ghamph Ghamph is offline

Default Homemade lathe

"NoName" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone ever tried converting a treadle sewing machine base into a
lathe? if so, was it successful and do you have plans drawn up I could
look at?

I used to collect antique treadle sewing machines and have several
bases I thought might make interesting mini lathes for pens or other
small items.

I made a mini lathe with a washing machine motor.

Made a micro lathe out of IBM typewriter parts. The typewriter had hundreds
of springs, bolts and some steel shafts to salvage too.The typewriter has a
nice small size induction motor that is very quiet with enough power to do
small diameter work.

You should be able to adapt the treadle sewing machine to a wood lathe by
beefing up the flywheel with more thickness or weight.
Check online for treadle lathe how-to and adapt to the treadle sewing
machine. The old singer machines are well built and work forever.
Jamffer