Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default CRT TVs

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:35:44 GMT, Trent Stevens

On 2007-06-26 01:54:33 -0500, mm said:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:31:38 -0400, mm
wrote:

Someone on this list or more likely sci.electronics.repair said a feww
months ago that it applied to cable too, and posted a link to
government or at least a serious looking site that gave the text of
the reg or statute that required this. It looked real to me.

I've searched for this thread for the last 20 minutes in my old s.e.r
posts and via groups.google, and I can't find it.

Well, I've looked for another 60 minutes and foudn some interesting
stuff, including several who agree that cable will still have analog,
until they stop for lack of profit,

But I've still found no reference to what I know I read, that there is
a reg against this.

I would be happy if cable had analog, because it would give me one
more alternative. I have a tv in every rroom, a color tv finally, and
no way am I replacing all of these, or any, with digital tvs.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm glad to see NTSC go away. NTSC was
never designed to handle color data it was added as a "hack" and is a
very inefficient system.

True. Color quality is one of the disadvantages of NTSC. The picture
is also never as steady as with more modern systems. I find these
problems make more of a difference (between NTSC and something better)
than the increased spatial resolution.

With the move to HD (really ATSC as it's not
a resolution dependant issue) you get the delivery of a channel in much
less bandwidth.

And you also get interference from the business-controlled government
(DRM).

If you want to keep your old TV's you will be able to buy cheap
converters (just like are used for cable reception) that will convert
the new ATSC signal to NTSC.

If you have cable or satellite (which do not ever use ATSC), you're
likely to already have a converter (the cable box or sat receiver). If
you can continue to use that, you won't need to buy anything else to
watch TV. Those converters are mainly for use by people with antennas.

Getting rid of old technology often
causes a little hardship but everyone is better off in the end.

Yes, although one thing that should change is the relative lack of
non-NTSC INPUTS, which allow much of the versatility of current NTSC
equipment. For example, if you want to add a video caller ID device.

Example - God knows we should have suffered the "pain" of converting to
metric long ago but we can thank the pandering politicians for our
current backwards standard.

Yes, we could have converted to metric, and also gotten rid on the
inconvenient QWERTY keyboard layout.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"