Posted to alt.home.repair
crabshell crabshell is offline

Default Need help attaching baseboard molding to sheetrock

"Noozer" wrote in

"crabshell" wrote in message
Long story short, I need to attach baseboard molding to a sheetrock
wall. The problem: instead of having a 2x4 behind the drywall to nail
it into, there's concrete. So we're talking 1/2 inch drywall butted
up against solid concrete. I'd rather not use glue/silicone because
removing the baseboards some day would in theory destroy the wall
too. Any ideas?

I'd actually like to know as well... Something that will keep them in
place, but won't hold so much that they'll let go if I were to pry at
them.

Definately not liquid nails... Rubber cement seems a bit on the weak
side... What to use?

I ended up using Liquid Nails and 1-1/2" finish nails. My intention was to
let the nails penetrate the drywall to help hold the molding in place while
the Liquid nails set. To my surprise and delight, the nails actually
penetrated the concrete pretty well in most cases. The Liquid Nails adds
some assurance that the concrete won't release the nail at some point. But
I used it sparingly since the nails seemed to grab pretty well.

-crabshell