Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Is this type of fan appropriate under roof vents in ceiling?

On Jun 26, 1:06 pm, "bent" wrote:
I am going to install a whole house fan to exhaust hot air out of the rooms
on the top floor , and while I'm at it I'm thinking of installing fan(s),
most likely one (1). in the roof itself to exhaust the air right out from
over the ceiling of those rooms. Get it out of the rooms, into that upper
area; then why not right out of that area, a hot box.

When a whole house fan is used, its drawing cool outside air into the
house from open windows and pushing air from the upstairs ceiling into
the attic and then out through the attic vents. The air going into
the attic from the house is maybe 80 deg? That's not a hot box and
in fact the attic should be quite cool and with proper insulation,
doing anything else with powered fans isn't going to do you any
measurable good.

With the whole house fan, I would be concerned about having enough
attic venting to support the volume required. And if you don't I'd
solve it with a ridge vent, or maybe another gable vent, not by trying
to turn regular roof vents into powered ones.

I have looked into the packaging of one of these fans at HomeDepot. Its
just a 15"! (x6"?) circular shroud, and it is to be mounted anywhere- theres
no flush mounting or anything, just some metal clips. The pic in the manual
shows it mounted so it is blowing Horizontally - out of a louver vent
mounted on the front of an "attic" - above the ceiling & below the roof, at
the front of the pictured house.

I am thinking I would want to mount a fan under the existing vents on the
roof, pointing up and out these vents. I do not want to screw around with
the shingles outside. I've got 2 of the std. size approx 12"x12" vents,
with screen inside. These vents are only about 7' apart, on adjacent parts
of the roof, at the rear. The foof is about 10' x 20'. I am thinking of
wiring a switch inside, beside the whole house fan switch (maybe pull
cord?), and using metallic shielded cable.

Can I use this type of fan, mount it just below the vent(s) facing up?
Will I need to worry about a seal to the vent to create a push vacuum?
Do I need to worry about the size(s)/cfm carefully of the fan(s) wrt the
whole house fan?
Theres soffit venting 360, and 2 vents, need I cover (and seal) both (2)
vents with fans?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?sto...
the "interior roof" fan

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?id=...