Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Jack up floor to replace rotted beam?

Hi Chuck,

As for the replacement, I'm planning to install built-up beams made of
four 2x8's. Easy to lift into place, and all access is clear from
inside the basement. The original 6x6 beam has a 2x6 on top which
makes the total height exactly 7.5". The 2x8's should be a perfect
replacement.

Do you have room to "build" this beam in place? If so I'd do it that
way.. and the ones that are side by side.. I'd not lag them together
till I got it into position.. if it wasn't too bad to get to..

Yes, there is plenty of room to maneuver the 2x8's into place to create the
built-up beam. I just need to jack up the floor that has sagged so the new
beam will fit where the old one was.

Anthony