Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan Travis Jordan is offline

Default need to downgrade breaker (from 40amp to 15amp) for new hvac?

Travis Jordan" wrote...
"dpb" wrote...

40A to 15A more efficient???? Now THAT is one efficient system...

I ain't buyin', sorry.

Normally I'd agree, but if a resistive heat air handler was changed out
for a variable speed heatpump only air handler, it would be completely
logical. Or maybe the original breaker was oversized.

I just checked Trane's documentation and all of their 1.5T and smaller heat
pump systems state a MCB of 15A. It is quite possible the old system (1987
vintage, probably twice the load) had an oversized breaker installed also.