Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Draining the water heater - again

I do get a gallon of hot water out the drain about once a year - to
use to add freon to my car. The cheap plastic faucett still works
fine - just be gentle with it.

I have yet to be able to close a WH drain (or PT valve) to the point of
being leak tight.

In the case of the drain valve, I end up screwing on one of those valves
used to shut off water at the business end of a garden water hose. Works
every time.

In the case of the PT valve, I just put a small bucket to catch the drips.
After a month or two the crap in the water plugs the leak.