Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel David Martel is offline

Default Draining the water heater - again

Eigen,

Something ain't right with your story. The system is pressurized so when
you open a faucet water should come out until the pressure equalizes. May
not be a lot of water but some must come out. You open a bunch of faucets
and get nothing?
When draining this tank with a garden hose are you trying to get water to
flow up hill? I own a similar heater. It's on the first floor. I run a
garden hose out across the deck and down about 4 ft, to the ground, turn off
the electricity, open the drain valve, open a sink faucet and then turn off
the water supply valve. Opening the relief valve isn't necessary since the
sink faucet allows air to enter the tank.

Dave M.