Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Customized Air Conditioning? ? ?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:57:21 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

We live in an L-shaped, five-room apartment with 1600 square feet. (Exluding
hall, kitchen, and 2 baths.)

For several years we have used a 23,000 BTU window air conditioning unit
which cools the entire apartment adequately for our needs.

The only problem is, it makes a lot more noise than we like.

I can relate to that.

I don't know if you can do what you want or not, but I can suggest
that once one gets used to AC, he will tend to use it even when it's
not needed so much. (You said "Any ideas welcome". )

I don't think my next door neigbhbors ever open their windows, even on
the most beautiful spring and fall days.

OTOH, one can learn to use the AC only some of the time.

Temperatures up to 85 outside leave my place comfortable, by use of
fans running at speeds just below audible, cross ventilation, closing
the light-proof curtains on the south side when it is sunny out.

Even when it is 95 out during the day, it's usually nice at night,
except for high humidity days.

Sleeping is improve enormously by learning to sleep without a top
sheet or blanket. It's like it is 10 degrees cooler.

Would it be possible to place the entire unit on the outside, probably on a
platform just below the window, and rig up some customized ducts to handle
the intake and outflow to carry the air into the apartment? This would
involve some sheet-metal fabrication, of course, and I'm sure we would still
hear some noise, but diminished. But the cost would be a great deal less
than central air.

Any ideas welcome.