Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default CRT TVs

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:35:44 GMT, Trent Stevens
wrote:

If nothing else, read the paragraph that begins with *****

I would be happy if cable had analog, because it would give me one
more alternative. I have a tv in every rroom, a color tv finally, and
no way am I replacing all of these, or any, with digital tvs.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm glad to see NTSC go away. NTSC was
never designed to handle color data it was added as a "hack" and is a
very inefficient system.

I don't care about stuff like that. I don't care about high
definition. I don't even care much about current good definition. On
some of the tvs on some of the stations, I get perfect pictures, but
on others I get various levels of low quality reception, but if it's
viewable, I don't even care about that. Usually I just need to know
what's going on.

A problem with digital is that when the signal is inadequate, instead
of getting a poor picture, one may get no picture at all.

With the move to HD (really ATSC as it's not
a resolution dependant issue) you get the delivery of a channel in much
less bandwidth.

If you want to keep your old TV's you will be able to buy cheap
converters (just like are used for cable reception) that will convert

That will work for the ones that are connected to my local network of
coax, but it won't work for my 2" TV, or, unless I run more cable
outside, the TV I use outside. In this case, there is no good way to
run cable outside. Maybe I can buy a second box and tape it to the
top of my 12" B&W that I leave outside under a shelf all summer.

BTW, I don't really consider an 80 or 100 dollar box with a 40 dollar
discount coupon to be cheap. That's 80 to 120 dollars for two of
them, out of my pocket. For some with an ongoing moderate to high
income, that's not much, but it is real money to me and others.

the new ATSC signal to NTSC. Getting rid of old technology often
causes a little hardship but everyone is better off in the end.

*********

NO. You must mean ON AVERAGE everyone is better off in the end. When
these changes occur, there are almost always people who are worse off
in the end. And in this case there will be millions who are worse
off.

Example - God knows we should have suffered the "pain" of converting to
metric long ago but we can thank the pandering politicians for our
current backwards standard.

This is an example of what I'm talking about. I would have gotten no
benefit except maybe some slightly cheaper prices on some things by
the use of metric. I might have saved 50 dollars in my lifetime, but
at the cost of great annoyance and great effort on my part. I would
have been worse off, as would have been most people my age or older at
the time they started to do this and then didn't (I was about 30).
--
Trent Stevens http://www.trentstevens.net/