Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default Swimming Pool water maintenance tips ? (Beginner)..

markm75 writes:

They didnt recommend the store bought bleach as with this type of pool
they said it would "bleach" it out in about 2 weeks time (the liner?),
though I'm not sure how their $6 chlorox style bottle of liquid shock
differs.

Bunk. Typical pool store ignorant profit-padding lore. They and their
grubby advice should be thrown in the deep end.

The pool store's chlorine is sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide just
like plain Clorox. Clorox claims 6.15 percent, and the pool store about 10
percent. Just proportion your local prices to see which is cheaper.

Ask them for an MSDS and compare it to this:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/prod...leach0505_.pdf

Beware. My local pool store, one of the largest and well-known franchise
chains, where they refill the 2.5 gallon chlorine jugs themselves in the
back from a big tank, are as crooked as a butcher with his thumb on the
scale. They adulterate their bulk chlorine and acid. The acid is watered
down to about 4/5 of what they claim on the label, according to several
samples I checked in my laboratory. The slightly higher priced jugs at the
local Home Depot have always been full strength.

The "computerized water test" at this pool store is a phony sales trick. A
public-schooled kid who flunked chemistry performs the same colorimetry you
do with the test kits from Walmart. Pimples then types in the results
(right or wrong) to a computer program design chiefly to get you to buy
overpriced stuff at the store. This is supposed to "pinch pennies", when
in fact their products are mislabeled (as to strength), misrepresented (as
to contents, such as labeling baking soda as "sodium hydrogen carbonate"
and telling you it is different from baking soda), and misapplied (telling
you to use stuff that won't do you any lasting good, overusing cyanurics,
absolutely unneeded algaecides at $100/gallon). The pool store biz tends
towards hustling, because it fleeces the foot traffic who just wants to
believe pool-owner ignorance plus pouring something in can fix anything.

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm
http://www.truetex.com/poolcontrol.htm