Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Termite Treatment Question

Hannibal wrote:

Lar, thank you for replying.

Dumb question, but what is the purpose of drilling
into the slab ?

To me, when you drill a hole, it's to get something
into something (ie. hole for a screw, hole for a wire
thru a wall, etc). I don't see the reason behind
drilling holes in a slab.

Subterranean termites live in the soil coming up to get to the house. In
slab situations it can be an opening no wider than a pencil mark, many
times where the plumbing penetrates the slab, so we drill near these
areas to inject the termiticide in the soil under the slab. The old
termiticides were basically a chemical shield, so area where you did not
treat had the possibility of having the termites pushed to these area.
Termidor works different, the termites do not detect it so if you are
not able or don't treat every area you still will get results due to the
nature of the termite foraging all around a home.

(now, I presume "slab" means concrete foundation
walls ?) ..... what i have is a poured concrete
foundation wall, with a poured concrete crawlspace
(no dirt), and a poured concrete full basement in
another part of the house. drill a hole in the
wall, and you're in the crawlspace or basement.

There are pictures here that may help you see how termites gain access...
http://www.termidorhome.com/document...ownerBroch.pdf

there is a brick veneer on the outside wall where
the window sill i saw the wings were at. it wasn't
a huge pile of wings, just enough to set off my
alarm bells that something is going on i need to
address.

i'm not comfortable with anyone drilling holes
into the brick veneer or poured concrete walls.

now, just digging a trench and laying down a
Termidor moat of sorts around the castle - that
i can live with.

would that be an effective treatment ?

Well, depends on the termite pressure...if the termites happen to start
on the perimeter of the home while foraging, yes.... if they happen to
just pop up from under the house they have a chance to get established
since they are not contacting treated soil, now over time they will
forage further away from the first trails and will probably get into the
treated zone, probably killing them out before you have a chance to know
they were ever there but no way to guarantee that will happen.

Lar