Posted to alt.home.repair
ValveJob ValveJob is offline

Default Customized Air Conditioning? ? ?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:57:21 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

We live in an L-shaped, five-room apartment with 1600 square feet. (Exluding
hall, kitchen, and 2 baths.)

For several years we have used a 23,000 BTU window air conditioning unit
which cools the entire apartment adequately for our needs.

The only problem is, it makes a lot more noise than we like.

Would it be possible to place the entire unit on the outside, probably on a
platform just below the window, and rig up some customized ducts to handle
the intake and outflow to carry the air into the apartment? This would
involve some sheet-metal fabrication, of course, and I'm sure we would still
hear some noise, but diminished. But the cost would be a great deal less
than central air.

Any ideas welcome.

Sure you can, but it aint gonna be pretty..

Lowes sells insulated duct in 25 and 50 feet lengths and in all
sizes. I would go with a couple of 9 inch ducts right into the two
nearests windows - one in, one out.