Posted to alt.home.repair
ValveJob ValveJob is offline

Default Draining the water heater - again

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 01:31:48 -0000, "
wrote:

On Jun 25, 8:37?pm, dashawn42000 wrote:
On Jun 25, 8:17 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

I posted a quick question a couple weeks back, this is a follow up.

I'm trying to drain my water heater, Sears PowerMiser 9, and I can't get
water to come out when its supposed to.

Here is what I have done.

Shut off cold water supply, opened all hot water faucets, connected garden
hose to drain spout, opened drain spout. Nothing, no water flow at all.

Did all the above, turned on cold water supply. Nice clear hot water poured
out of garden hose at a reduced pressure.

Removed garden hose, obvious vacuum breaking sound, opened up faucet.
Nothing, water heater gurgled for a couple of seconds then stopped.

Am I gonna have to totally disconnect the water heater from the system in
order to do the bi-annual draining that the manufacturer suggests? I just
don't want to do that, considering all the water that's gonna dump all over
the place when that happens.

What about opening the pressure release valve?

Turn off the cold water supply to tank, then open pressure relief
valve to allow air to get into system. The only problem with that is
the pressure relief valve may not fully close again.- Hide quoted text -

install ball valve as drain valve, its likely a plastic valve designed
to be used just once to drain the tank at end of life. the ball valves
nice unobstructed opening allows eaier drain water flow.

personally I QUIT draining my tank many years ago. after getting
little sediment out and having leaks, opening that pressure relief
valve can cause a leak.

Only begin this project first thing in orning you have entire day off!

Be prepared to replace valves and perhaps the entire tank.

to me its not worth the effort

In 10 years, I have not drained my tank.

I do get a gallon of hot water out the drain about once a year - to
use to add freon to my car. The cheap plastic faucett still works
fine - just be gentle with it.