Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Attic Ventilation..

"JD" wrote in message
I'm in the process of getting a new roof and the first roofer wants to
install ridge vents, which I wasn't familiar with. I've done some research
and ridge vents seem to be a good idea? I have some questions:

I have a hip roof so do the ridge vents go on every ridge or just the top
or highest ridge?

I found a web page that talks about the relationship between the amount of
ridge vent and number of soffit vents.

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18231/0

If you scroll about half way down the page they talk about Minimum Venting
Requirements. Is the information they provide correct? It says a 1,500 sq
ft attic will need 10 sq ft of venting, half on the roof and half on the
soffits. They say the factor is 1 sq ft of venting for each 150 sq ft of
attic. Is that correct?

--
JD..

If you're in Florida, check with your local building department for their
advice and code requirements, and that the ridge vent installation meets
Miami-Dade requirements. Ridge vents may be the weak link in roof
construction when hurricanes are involved, and in the 2004-5 storms many
ridge vents were the initial point of roof damage, when they peeled off in
the wind like zippers. Regards --