Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default GE hot water heater - strange noise

wrote:
Hello,

A few months ago I re piped my house using wirsbo pex for water. As
part of this re-piping I also re-fed the hot water heater using 6"
sections of copper with unions and a copper to pex tee. The water then
comes off the heater horizontally from this tee and goes to feed the
house

Recentley I noticed a clicking noise coming from the water heater
whenever I turn on the hot or cold water. The clicking volume is
related to the speed at which I start or stop the water. If I shut the
water fast it clicks loudly. The sound is coming from the entry and
exit points for the water on the top of the unit. I did not sweat any
of the connections while they were threaded on the unit (I know this
can damage the di-electric fittings)

The water heater is a natural gas GE unit bought from Home Depot.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what this is?

Thanks in advance

It's probably equipped with "heat trap" ball check valves.

See:
http://www.dmme.virginia.gov/De/hbchap6.html
(scroll down)

Jim