Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default Customized Air Conditioning? ? ?

Arkadiy wrote:

On Jun 25, 3:57 pm, "Ray" wrote:

We live in an L-shaped, five-room apartment with 1600 square feet. (Exluding
hall, kitchen, and 2 baths.)

For several years we have used a 23,000 BTU window air conditioning unit
which cools the entire apartment adequately for our needs.

The only problem is, it makes a lot more noise than we like.

Would it be possible to place the entire unit on the outside, probably on a
platform just below the window, and rig up some customized ducts to handle
the intake and outflow to carry the air into the apartment? This would
involve some sheet-metal fabrication, of course, and I'm sure we would still
hear some noise, but diminished. But the cost would be a great deal less
than central air.

Any ideas welcome.

Looks like you may want to take a look at this:
http://www.dulley.com/docs/f421.htm

Regards,
Arkadiy

Great advice Arkadiy.
Get rid of the noisy window jammer! Ducting it will absolutely NOT work;
they are NOT engineer designed to be ducted!
Go for the Ductless Mini-Splits and do a manual J heatload to get an
idea on BTUH sizing for each room.
Also, one condenser can feed several E-Coil airhandlers to various rooms.
With programmable THs they can save a lot on AC costs. - udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html
(Needs Editing ASAP)

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!