Posted to rec.woodworking
Jason Jason is offline

Default Cutting weird joist angles... Sawzall?

Funny observation WoodButcher - everyone seems to forget about the lowly
hand-saw. I can't live without my Japanese hand saw! Cutting on the
pull-stroke... what a concept! :-)

WoodButcher wrote:
If you own a handsaw the solution would be obvious, so you must
be looking to justify a new power tool. I know just the one for you.
I posted it on ABPW (Subject = joist cutter)
Enjoy.
Art

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm building a deck. The basic shape is a rectangle. It's about 28.5
feet long, 17.5 feet wide on one end and 4 feet on the other, and the
angled side is about 28 feet. The angle works out to be roughly 26
degrees.

The question is this what is the best way to cut the 26 degree angles
on the 2x6 joists. Because my circular saw and jigsaw won't do those
angles (at least not that i can see) I figured I'd have to do my best
with a sawzall. Anyone have an idea what the best way to do this
would be?

I thought I would snap a chalk line on the top of the joists and make
a pass with the circular saw (that should give me about a 2.5-3" deep
cut) and then complete the cut with the sawzall. It seems like there
should be a better way.

I'd appreciate any ideas.