Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch Tom Veatch is offline

Default Hole Saw Plug Removal

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:53:53 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I need some advice on using a hole saw.

Second the previous advice. Forstner would probably give you the
cleanest holes, augers are very aggressive and would be fastest (maybe
even if you're doing them by hand). But, if you'd have to buy tooling
to do it that way - well you're going to have to buy tooling anyway
because I suspect your hole saw is toast.

I've found the most problems with getting the plug out of the hole saw
happens when you cut from one side only - sometimes there is no other
choice - and when the hole saw is too short for the material. If there
is enough depth in the saw above the plug, it's a fairly simple matter
to pry the plug out through the slots in the side. Had to punch a
number 2 1/2" holes through 3/4" plywood yesterday (with only one side
accessible) and a screwdriver through the side slots worked the plugs
out quite handily.

OTOH, if the plug completely covers the slots, then it's dismount the
saw, remove the mandrel, and punch out the plug through the mandrel
hole. Be sure the next hole saw you get has enough depth of cut so the
plugs won't completely cover the ejection slots.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA