Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default More well pump questions

Ook wrote:

"Ook" wrote in message

can run 3 sprinklers just fine at about a 50% duty cycle. It tends to suck a
bit of air at high volumes, so I'm thinking that I might be pushing the
limit of my well's capacity, it is a 2" pipe after all. I also found that it

If you have a marginal well (if it is sucking air now it probably is --
just wait till then end of a dry season or drought year), you may want
to consider one or more of the following suggestions:

1) You have a shallow well with a (currently) relatively high water table.
As another poster mentioned, the cost of drilling a deeper well may not
be that much. You would need to check locally, as the cost
would vary regionally and depend upon local geology. (I drilled a 320'
4" well for about $10k in 1990, mostly through shale.)

2) Get a "Pumpsaver" or similar. It will protect your pump and can also
be used in conjunction with a storage tank to get the most out of a
marginal well.

3) Get a storage tank and pressure pump. You can then fill the storage tank
at a low flow rate (to match your well's ability), but then you will still
be able to consume water at a high rate. You can then either throttle back
the well pump (not the best solution), get a smaller well pump, or use the
Pumpsaver to automatically shut off the well pump for a recovery period that
you set.