Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Hole Saw Plug Removal

Mon, Jun 25, 2007, 11:53am (EDT-3) (DerbyDad03)
doth query
I need some advice on using a hole saw snip
The plug is very difficult to get out snip
The hole saw itself is very, very hot. The wood begins to smoke before I
am halfway through.
Are my problems the result of using a cheap holesaw,snip
FYI...I making some bat hangers snip

For that size hole, if you aren't going to use the plugs, i'd jsst
use a drill.

Awhile back soneone here told how to get the plug out easily. Drill
almost all the way thru, not quite all te way. Flip the piece, drill
just enouh to cut the remaining wood, easy to pull te plug out - altho
it'd be smart to shut the drill press off first. If you've got it right
the plug might literally fall out on its own.

You don't get much cheaper than Harbor Freight holesaws. That's
what I use now and I don't have a bit more problems with them than the
more pricey ones I have. I get smoke sometime, but I'm just pressing
own too hard.

I say let the bats find roosts on their own.