Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Hole Saw Plug Removal

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need some advice on using a hole saw.

Here's where I'm at:

- I'm using a 1.25" single-piece hole saw by Blu-Mol.
- I'm using my drill press to cut holes in some old 3/4 plywood,
circa 1956.
- The speed is set to about 750 RPM
- I've been drilling a little more than half-way through, then
flipping the wood and completing the hole from the other side.

The plug is very difficult to get out of the hole saw. It takes more
time to pry the plug out of the hole saw than it does to drill the
hole. The hole saw itself is very, very hot. The wood begins to smoke
before I am halfway through.

Are my problems the result of using a cheap holesaw, the hardness of
the 1950's plywood, the speed of the drill press, or a combination of
all three?

I'd take a different approach.

Use a 1-1/4" carbide forstner bit.

If you still want to stay with a hole saw, consider the following:

1) Use only bi-metal hole saws.]
2) Reduce the RPMs, 750 is too fast.
3) Since you are dealing with 3/4" plywood, drill about half way, then
use a chisel to remove the waste, then finish drilling hole.

Removing 3/4" plug from a small hole saw can be a total PITA.

I'd still use a carbide forstner, much faster and a whole lot easier.

Lew